The perfect salad for a summer picnic: Couscous salad with balsamic cashew dressing, garnished with strawberries, avocado and cashews. Recipe by Shabnam Rebo, The Hungry Warrior
© The Hungry Warrior
- Soak the cashews in hot water for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tbsp olive oil in the pan, slice the onions into half-moons and add to the pan.
- Sauté for 5 minutes on medium heat, then mince the garlic and add to the onions. Add a pinch of salt and coconut sugar and sauté for a few minutes until everything is caramelised.
- Remove the onions and garlic from the pan and place in the blender. Drain the soaked cashews and add them to the blender along with the balsamic vinegar, maple syrup, water, salt and pepper. Blend until creamy.
- Cook the Israeli couscous according to the instructions on the packet.
- Place the spinach and cooked Israeli couscous in a bowl. Cut the strawberries into wedges, dice the avocado and add to the salad. Finely chop the roasted cashews and add them to the salad. Finally, add the dressing and stir to combine.