These spicy lentil patties can be served plain as finger food or in a veggie burger. Recipes by Shiruna from My Elephant Kitchen.
Ingredients for 6 to 8 pieces:
- 200g Dried Brown Lentils (Note: soaked for 1 hour in hot water)
- 2 tbsp Tomato Paste
- 1⁄3 cup Onion (Diced)
- 1⁄2 cup Carrot (Grated)
- 2 cloves Garlic (minced)
- 1 tbsp Ginger (minced)
- 1⁄3 cup Coriander (fresh)
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- 1 tsp Garam Masala (or another spice mix that you like)
- 30ml Olive Oil (and extra for shaping and brushing)
- 2 tbsp Rolled Oats
- 20ml Water
- Preheat your oven to 200oC and line a tray with parchment paper.
- Cook the lentils for 5 minutes, drain and wash them under cold water.
- Add the lentils, tomato paste, onion, carrot, garlic, ginger, coriander, salt, garam masala, and oil to a food processing jar and blend until it's all combined.
- Add the oats and water and blend again until well combined. (Note: blending more gives the cutlets a softer texture, but blending less gives a coarser one. It’s up to you what you prefer, I prefer a softer texture.)
- Now divide the mix into 6-10 equal parts. Rub oil on your hands and shape them into patties or cutlets.
- Brush with olive oil and bake for 10 minutes.
- Flip the patties and bake for another 10 minutes
- Remove from the oven and serve with dips or use in burgers!
Burgers with lentil patties
Ingredients for one burger:
- 1 Burger Bun
- 1 Lentil Burger Patty
- 1 big Leaf of Lettuce
- 5-6 leaves of spinach
- 2-3 slices of Bell Pepper
- 5-6 slices of Onion
- 4-5 slices of Cucumber
- 2-3 slices of Tomato
- 1-2 slices of Cheese (thick Feta Cheese for example)
- Sauces (ketchup and mayo for example)
- Begin with your burger bun and start layering the ingredients as you like.
- Add generous amounts of sauces and place the lentil patty in the middle.
- Finish with more ingredients, cheese, more sauces, and finally the top of the bun!
- Serve with fresh ingredients or potato wedges.